Well, I missed a whole month while I was moving house/losing tournaments.
Moving house: Basically done. We still have a good chunk in storage, however it’s mostly books and the giant boxes of kimono’s that my wife and I somehow got from the Toji Temple markets in Kyoto back to Adelaide.
X-wing miniatures tournament: My third straight ‘dead last’. Maybe I need to put some time in to actually practice this game. The models themselves take up quite a bit of space in their default packaging, so I’ve spent the main part of my spare time paper-crafting small boxes to stow them in. This is the kind of thing my younger brother, Shane, would have crafted pine wood boxes with plush velvet lining for, and brass hinges. If he was still around today, he would have made a killing supplying all the local gamers.
But since I’m not my brother, I’ll settle for thick cardboard and paper glue.
We also lost the dodgeball semi-final. It’s tough to go from top of the ladder, to getting smashed in the preliminary final and then smashed in the semi-final to a team that you’d smashed only two weeks before. I’m not even sure what happened.
In regards to programming, I’m slowly getting back into it now that the main time sinks are out of the way. I spent a few hours learning how to texture in reverse – normally, I can place my vertices and export that UV map to Gimp to colour in. For some reason, my truck vertices don’t play nice when I send them over to a UV map. So I drew the texture and then applied the vertices to the texture.
It worked out better than I had expected.
The faint orange glow on the container front and back is because I’ve set the specular lighting to be slightly orange. When I texture the cabin (probably a red Optimus Prime look) this orange is to remind me to add some shiny reflection from the two close objects to each other.
This was also my first time making a texture from scratch rather than just finding something close enough on the internet. Gimp is somewhat limited compared to Photoshop, and I’m still getting used to it. On the upside, it’s free.
The lettering on Infinite State Automaton is black. I hit it with a dodge tool to try and get a shiny steel look. It didn’t really work out like I had hoped. If I spent some time on it, I would go highlight the edges of the letters.
For now though, I want to finish off texturing the truck. Other than the cabin, there’s the exhaust pipes, lights and truck bed to go. The hardest part will be the cabin, since it’s not a simple box and may require multiple textures on the same object.
This ‘reverse’ UV mapping seemed to go a lot easier than the way it’s supposed to be done. It will probably only work with flat surfaced objects. Still, I’m continuing to learn new tricks and gain familiarity with the tools.