I’ve nearly finished the truck model. I looked at some truck images to try and understand how the wheels are connected to the chassis, and to understand what a truck chassis even looks like. The objective of this assignment was to build the truck using only primitive objects (so no sculpting vertexes).
This went okay for the most part, but a square truck cabin looked kind of silly, so I made some basic amendments to improve it.
The wheels are the only parts I’ve textured so far. If you look at the wheels in the above picture, the wheels on the far right of the truck look better than the ones closest to the view. The ones close have a hub cap metal plate over the center of the tire, with nuts and a hub modeled on to that. The wheels on the far side are just a flat texture.
The texture looks far better and took much less effort than the modeled tyre. This was a surprising lesson that I’ll keep in mind going forward.
Another thing I learned was that it was best to mark seams for texturing as I was doing the model; once I’d duplicated parts for the truck, if I had forgotten to mark the seams, I would have to do it twice.
I’m not really happy with the front of the truck/cabin. I’ll probably add some steps and maybe something on top of the bonnet to make it look more like a truck and less like a box. I still have a bunch of pipes to add on the top of the container and back of the cabin – perhaps it will improve without any direct effort.
This is the area that I probably should have spent more time using images to refer from, but I decided to rush it because I wanted to get on to the next set of lessons.
The next step is to texture the remainder of the truck. The lesson learned from the wheels is that I can probably just texture on windows and other details to give the illusion of 3D.
The truck components are quite modular. In theory, I could swap out the wheels with different ones, change the container or cabin, etc etc. Sometime later, I may revisit this truck model with an improved skill-set, and upgrade components.
For now I’m basically happy with the shape. Another hour or so on details should be enough. My goal is to finish off the truck this week. I am moving house this weekend coming up so I probably won’t get a chance to work on it again for a time after that.
I spent some more time on the model. I’m happy with the cabin, now.
I tried to launch this model in the Infinite State Automaton engine, and discovered that my Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 can’t open the project files anymore. I had deleted a whole bunch of things off of my hard drive last week, so hopefully a simple re-install will fix the issue. Something to try tomorrow.
Edit for May 31 – I managed to get VS 2013 working again. It turns out that when I had started using Unity, it changed my environment to default to Visual Studio 2015’s environment settings (which had not been configured to use my compiler or OpenGL). I managed to switch it back to 2013 and get everything to run again.
I then attempted to import the truck into my game engine. After a couple of tries, it seems that it won’t work without some deeper digging, so I won’t worry about it for now.
I decided to just get to texturing the rest of the truck and worry about the problems with the model itself later. I’m keen to start the next lesson.