This week has been quite action packed and chock full of surprise career turns. More on that next week. I’m exhausted – I’ve just gotten over Influenza B and haven’t had much sleep.
One of the highlights was competing in a Codility exam – I feel that I did quite well except for the last thirty seconds, when I panicked and submitted a non-executing question 4. That was a shame, because question 4 was on collision detection, which regular readers will know is what I’ve spent the last four months working on. I can only trust the markers will look at the previously saved version which executed and completed 90% of the capabilities.
So, work all day, code all night! Actually, being sick I mainly worked all day and facerolled over the keyboard at night, but I still managed to hack together something.
This is the first night where I’ll be getting a solid night of sleep (I hope!) so thanks to my wife for taking care of me while I was busted up.
First model idea for a horror-scout. I’ve left legs and wings off since they will be time intensive to model and I’ll make more changes to this draft before going further ahead. The two giant spheres use up a lot of vertexes for no real advantage so this is as far as I’ll go on this version. Attempting to load it in the game engine caused a noticeable delay, so that’s too CPU intensive already.
There are story reason for this weird looking thing. The real enemy forces will look more like traditional space ships.
Thursday night: System architecture improvements. I’ve laid down some project designs for the middle/late stages of the project, and I’m completing those now as it will be more difficult to do at a later date.
I decided I was overthinking my game prototypes, and I’ll just use a textured quad to represent enemy ships, at least until I’m ready to replace them with something more interesting. During my lunch break and bus to-and-from work, I read up on artificial intelligence so that I could start thinking about how to move the enemy units around in a lifelike manner. I think I will be able to make steady ‘waves’ of enemies that follow a certain set of wave point paths, with a few that might try to crash in to the player, and see how that feels.
For now I’ve basically finished the architecture restructure. I’m now modifying the actor class so that it supports different types of actors (player, enemy, player shots, enemy shots, upgrades). There will also be other actors, like debris and background material, that doesn’t specifically have an action, but I want to be rendered anyway.
This weekend I have a wedding to attend so it’s unlikely I’ll get any programming time done. There’s a chance I’ll be released from my work contract earlier than expected, allowing me to get more coding done during the week, but I can’t count on it.